New Customers | Existing Customers

Get a free quote

Existing customers please call
Click here to close

Green Card Europe

If you plan on driving your own vehicle through Europe or driving in a particular European country, you may want to consider dedicated Green Card cover. This motor insurance certificate is proof that a motorist has adequate cover for the country they are travelling in. Sterling’s prices start from £350.

Green Card insurance from just £350!

Why should I choose Green Card cover with Sterling?

Depending on the policy, standard car insurance can include European cover for a short period of time. For example, with Sterling, our motoring policies include European cover for up to 30 days.

A Green Card is documented proof a British motorist has adequate insurance cover for the country they are driving in. It is currently optional for driving through the EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland – but is likely to become compulsory if the UK leaves the EU with a No Deal Brexit.

If you are driving in Europe, you may want to consider dedicated Green Card cover for your own peace of mind. It is definitely required if you will be on the road for longer than your standard car insurance will cover you for.

Sterling has access to various insurance providers to find you the best deal. Your vehicle must be UK-registered and we can arrange travel documents before your departure.

The benefits of getting a policy with Sterling

  • Prices start from £350
  • Cover available for any UK-registered vehicle
  • Green Cards can be issued for EU countries and beyond
  • Options for short term cover (one, two or three months) and long term (annual)
  • Relevant travel documents can be issued prior to departure
  • For drivers aged 21 years or over
  • Cover for newly qualified drivers is also available
  • Legal protection up to £100,000 included
  • European breakdown cover, keycare, windscreen (optional extras)
  • Claims hotline open 24/7

Prices from £350

Sterling compares prices from a panel of insurance companies so you get the very best deal. Short term cover of one, two or three months as well as longer term annual policies are available. Cover is for drivers aged 21 years or over and cover for newly qualified drivers is possible.

Green Cards for EU countries, and beyond

You can motor around Europe, explore a route to Morocco, or adventure over to Russia. There’s no end of possibilities for your next adventure, so take a look at other countries where our Green Card Insurance can cover you.

Legal protection up to £100,000 included

Our legal cover is a standard feature in our car insurance policies. So if you are ever involved in an accident that isn’t your fault, it can help you recover any out of pocket legal expenses afterwards.

Cover for any UK-registered vehicle

Sterling can arrange a European Green Card to drive in any UK-registered vehicle, whether it’s a car, van, motor home or campervan. Phone one of our experts who will find a quote that works for you and your needs.

European breakdown cover, keycare, windscreen (optional extras)

If you happen to break down in Europe during your travels, our European breakdown cover can help you get back on the road. Opt for our European Plus Breakdown cover and get cover in many eastern bloc countries too, including Russia (west of the Urals). We also offer keycare, and windscreen as optional extras with our policies.

Call us for the best deal

Our best policies do not appear on comparison sites and are not available online. Pick up the phone and call us for the very best deals on offer. Let us do the work and find Green Card cover for you.

Get a quote with us!

It's easy.

What else can be included with Sterling’s motor insurance?*

  • Cover for all car insurance groups, including left-hand drive, classic cars and modified cars.
  • Uninsured loss recovery for non-fault claims.
  • Modifications price-matched on a like-for-like basis.
  • Independent agreed value cover available.
  • Salvage retention options after an accident.
  • Cover for dismantled parts.

*Subject to policy selection

Is there advice for motorists who need Green Card Insurance?

  • Get your Green Card paperwork organised in plenty of time before departure.
  • Make sure the Green Card is valid for all the countries you are driving to or through.
  • The Green Card documentation must have a minimum of 15 days cover from the date of travel.
  • Motorists must travel with a printed copy of the Green Card paperwork – and it must be on green paper to be valid.
  • Keep up with the Government guidance if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 31 October 2019.

How do I get a Green Card insurance quote from Sterling?

What is Green Card insurance?

Green Card insurance is an internationally recognised certificate of insurance that confirms the visiting motorists have the minimum compulsory cover required by the law of the country visited.

Who needs Green Card insurance?

If you’re planning a driving trip to Europe, you will want to feel confident that you have the right insurance cover in the event of an accident. Sterling can offer Green Card insurance to drivers aged 21 years or over, and also newly qualified drivers.

Which countries does Sterling Breakdown insurance cover?

Our standard UK & European breakdown cover includes the following countries:

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, British Isles, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (inc Balearics), Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and Vatican City

Get our European Plus breakdown policy and in addition to the above get cover in the following countries too:

Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Morocco, Montenegro, Romania, Russia (west of Urals), Serbia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (T.F.Y.R.O.M.), Turkey and Ukraine.

Is a Green Card a legal requirement?

It is no longer a legal requirement in many countries to have a Green Card, but it will give you peace of mind and make things much easier if you need to make a claim or exchange details with another driver or the police.

With the uncertainty of Brexit, will my annual Sterling Green Card policy be valid after Britain leaves the EU?

Yes, it will. When you buy Green Card insurance, it will remain valid throughout the duration of the policy.

So whether the UK is in or out of the European Union, you will be covered if you’re motoring through Europe.

Visit GOV.UK for the latest travel information, including details about whether you will need an international driving permit.

Even better deals over the phone

Our best policies and prices do not appear on price comparison sites and are not available online.

So let us compare prices with the levels of cover available. We’ll get quotes from multiple insurance providers to ensure you get the very best deal.

Help is here when you need it

Sterling’s UK claim line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you ever need to make a claim, someone will be here for you at the other end of the phone.

Our staff are based in the UK

Sterling’s UK claim line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you ever need to make a claim, someone will be here for you at the other end of the phone.

30 years’ experience in the industry

Our senior staff have been working in the insurance industry for 30 years.

It means we can help if you need to find cover for situations or circumstances that are a bit more specialist.

Get a quote with us!

It's easy.

Request Callback
This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.
Read more